Acceptable Use Guidelines
Introduction. Please read these Guidelines for Acceptable Use carefully. Together with the Terms of Service and the other documents, agreements and materials incorporated therein (collectively referred to as the “Rules”), they govern your use of the Services provided to you by United Online Web Services. The most current version of the Rules may be found at the Site related to your Service.
Content. While United Online Web Services encourages and supports the free flow of information and ideas over the Internet, United Online Web Services expects that you will act legally, responsibly and be considerate of others. United Online Web Services reserves the right, but does not bear the responsibility, to prohibit or delete any conduct, communication or content which United Online Web Services in its sole discretion determines to be unlawful, potentially harmful to others or may expose United Online Web Services to harm or liability. By content, we mean the text, software, communications, images, sounds and other information provided online, hosted or transmitted in connection with or as a result of the Services provided to you. You agree that all claims, disputes or wrongdoing which result from, or which are related in any way to, the content of information that you transmit, re-transmit, host or receive through the Services are your sole and exclusive responsibility.
If you post, upload or transmit content or material to your personal website, or public areas (e.g. message boards, newsgroups, forums and public mailing lists), you are requesting United Online Web Services and/or its partners to make such content available to others, and you understand that such parties may copy, modify or distribute such materials. Additionally, you are representing that you are the owner of such material or have authorization to distribute it anywhere, and you expressly grant United Online Web Services the complete right to use, reproduce, modify and/or distribute the content in any form, anywhere.
United Online Web Services does not generally monitor the conduct of its users nor communication or content distributed, hosted or posted through the Services, and you acknowledge United Online Web Services is unlikely to be aware of violations of law or these Rules or other misconduct occurring through the Services. If you send an online communication (e.g., e-mail, posting, instant message), host or post any content, you bear full responsibility for the content. You are responsible for using reasonable efforts to screen any unwanted material and reporting any offensive or illegal communications to United Online Web Services.
Unlawful Purposes. You may not transmit, distribute, host or store material, or participate in any conduct, that may violate any applicable local, state, federal or foreign law or regulation. This includes, without limitation:
- any unauthorized use of material protected by patent, copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right;
- material that is defamatory, obscene, constitutes an illegal threat or harassment, violates export control laws, or is used to commit fraud or any other activity that is prohibited by criminal or civil law;
- material that posts or discloses personal identifiable information or private information of individuals under the age of 13 or in connection with materials directed towards children under the age of 13 without verifiable parental consent;
- material that exploits children under the age of 18;
- material that provides, sells or offers to sell the following: controlled substances, illegal drugs and drug contraband, alcohol, weapons, pirated materials, pornography or sexual products, programs to attack others, illegal goods or services, escort services, instructions on making, assembling or obtaining illegal goods or weapons, information used to break, copyright, violate the trademark of or to destroy others’ property or information used to illegally harm any people or animals;
- material that takes part in, or allows any third party to take part in, the following: reverse engineering, reverse compiling or otherwise deriving the underlying source code, structure or sequence of the technology, altering copyright notices and attributes (unless you have written permission by the legal owner); or
- material or conduct which United Online Web Services believes to be unlawful, offensive or harmful.
Notification of copyright infringement or any other illegal activity should be sent to:
Anthony DeToro, Esq., United Online Web Services, c/o United Online Inc., 21255 Burbank Boulevard, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
If you believe that material on the Service constitutes an infringement of copyright, you must provide United Online Web Services with the following:
- a physical description or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on the copyright owner;
- a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Service;
- your address, telephone number and e-mail address;
- a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, the owner’s agent or the the law; and
- a statement by you, made under the penalty of perjury, that the information you have provided is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the owner.
Unwanted Materials, Offensive Content and Disabling Code. You may not transmit, distribute, host or store unwanted materials, offensive content, disabling code or any other materials that may impact the Service or user experience. This includes, without limitation:
- viruses, Trojan horse programs, logic bombs, worms and messages which include character sequences intended to control the recipient’s computer or display screen;
- make-money fast schemes, pyramid or chain letters;
- fraudulent offers, threats or harassment;
- postings to a newsgroup in violation of its rules, charter or FAQ;
- material that includes or contains links to nudity, pornography or foul language;
- material that is obscene, lewd, lascivious, excessively violent or otherwise objectionable;
- material that is racist or otherwise offensive to United Online Web Services network and community, including material which aggravates, harasses, threatens, defames or abuses others such as bigotry, prejudice, racism or hatred and promotion, assistance or information of any type related to violence against governments, groups, organizations or individuals;
- storage of log files or non-HTML content unless expressly allowed as part of the Service;
- password-only, hidden, or restricted access pages unless expressly allowed as part of the Service; or
- any material, content, code, transmission or other use of the Service that would violate United Online Web Services’ Rules.
E-mail Policy. You may not use the Services to violate any applicable law or regulation including violation of the CAN-SPAM Act, any other anti-spam law or any rule, policy or procedure of United Online Web Services including, without limitation:
- sending any form of unsolicited commercial or bulk online communication;
- facilitating spam or collecting responses from spam;
- sending large volumes of unsolicited e-mail to individuals;
- sending threatening or harassing e-mail;
- incorporating a false subject line, false return address or false transmission path into an online communication;
- cross-posting excessive messages to newsgroups;
- sending chain letters;
- using e-mails to facilitate a pyramid scheme;
- sending a mail bomb (mail bombing is defined as the sending of numerous and/or unusually large files or messages to one or more recipients with malicious intent);
- sending threatening or harassing e-mails (harassment is defined as the sending of e-mails that are intended to interfere with an other’s enjoyment of the Internet);
- using your account as a substitute for storage devices or for any other use other than bone fide e-mail use;
- leaving excess amounts of unopened e-mail in your account;
- using any automatic process for sending or receiving e-mail;
- use your account for illegal peer-to-peer file sharing; or
- any other use of your account that would violate United Online Web Services’ Rules.
Accounts may not be used as a dropbox or repository for responses for unsolicited advertisements (including, but not limited to, inquiries, complaints, unsubscribes or bounced messages). Subscribers may be fined US $200.00 for each day this provision is violated. Full payment of fines will not prevent United Online Web Services from terminating the offending account or seeking legal remedies against the responsible subscribe, including damages or an injunction.
To report a case of spamming, please e-mail the address set forth on the Site related to your Service.
System and Network Security. You may not do anything that may violate United Online Web Services’ system or network security. Security violations include, without limitation:
- attempts to compromise the security of any website;
- altering the header information of e-mail or Usenet postings or other activity that conceals your e-mail address or prevents recipients from responding to e-mail messages you send;
- interference with service to any user, hosting or network provider (including, without limitation, mail-bombing or news-bombing, flooding, overloading a system, broadcast attacks, disrupting Internet relay chat channels or Usenet newsgroups or placing false bids on auction sites);
- use or distribution of tools designed to compromise security of any computer system or network (including, without limitation, cracking tools, banner blockers, network probing tools, password or credit card probes and decryption devices and other guessing programs);
- transferring excessive amounts of data through United Online Web Services’ network;
- misuse or abuse of account access and passwords; or
- any attempt to use an account in any manner that would violate, harm or compromise United Online Web Services’ network or services.
You also agree that you will not use our network to measure the performance of our Services, or publish information about our network’s performance.
Unless otherwise specified, the Services are provided for your personal, consumer use only, are not intended for commercial or business use and commercial or business use is prohibited.